August 3, 2020
Below is a lesson from Brian Johnson’s Optimize +1 on having courage together, as well as our key learnings.
The Blue Courage team is dedicated to continual learning and growth. We have adopted a concept from Simon Sinek’s Start With Why team called “Learn, Share, Grow”. We are constantly finding great articles, videos, and readings that have so much learning. As we learn new and great things, this new knowledge should be shared for everyone to then grow from.
- “Love 1.0” that usually only extends to our family and closest loved ones to a Love 2.0 that includes all the “micro moments” of connection we can create with others throughout our day. (Barbara Fredrickson)
- Why stop there? Love 0.0 (for ourselves), Love 1.0 (for our families), and Love 2.0 (for those micro moments).
- “Love 3.0.” – We call that Heroic Love. ENCOURAGEMENT!
- Compassion literally means “to suffer with.” It is a virtue.
- Aristotle tells us that COURAGE is the #1 virtue we need to put all the other virtues in place.
- We need to move beyond “suffering with” others in the middle of challenging times to HAVING COURAGE TOGETHER during these extraordinarily challenging times.
- Definition for compassion: “sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others: the victims should be treated with compassion.” Etymologically, compassion comes from the Latin com + passio. It literally means “to suffer with.”
- Definition for comcourage: “fierce belief in the strength of others to meet their challenges combined with a willingness to act together in the presence of fear to conquer and grow from those challenges: the aspiring heroes facing challenges should be treated with comcourage.”
- Etymologically, comcourage comes from the Latin com + cor. It literally means “to have heart with.”
- Just like the heart pumps blood to our arms and legs and other organs, COURAGE vitalizes all our other virtues.
- Let’s inject some courage into the lives of our loved ones and all those around us. Let’s be willing to face challenges together.