July 15, 2019
Below is a lesson from Goalcast where Father Boyle speaks on how working with gang members has changed his life, as well as our key learning.
The Blue Courage team is dedicated to continual learning and growth. We have adopted a concept from Simon Sinek’s Start With Why team called “Learn, Share, Grow”. We are constantly finding great articles, videos, and readings that have so much learning. As we learn new and great things, this new knowledge should be shared for everyone to then grow from.
How Working With Gang Members Changed My Life
By Father Gregory Boyle
- Only the soul that ventilates the world with tenderness has any chance of changing the world.
- You go to stand with the demonized so that the demonizing will stop.
- Stand with the disposable so that the day will come when we stop throwing people away.
- Stand with those who’s dignity has been denied, and you stand with those who’s burdens are more than they can bear.
- And you stand with the poor and the powerless and the voiceless. Make those voices heard.
- Stand together!
- In learning about what Father Boyle and Homeboy Industries accomplish, it teaches us hope — sometimes all it takes is one person to believe in you, not judge you, and to provide hope and a positive opportunity for change.
- Meet people where they are at and elevate them to see and believe in their own potential.