October 22, 2018
Below is a lesson from Optimize +1 on how positivity affects peak performance, as well as our key learning.
The Blue Courage team is dedicated to continual learning and growth. We have adopted a concept from Simon Sinek’s Start With Why team called “Learn, Share, Grow”. We are constantly finding great articles, videos, and readings that have so much learning. As we learn new and great things, this new knowledge should be shared for everyone to then grow from.
Science of Positivity
For Peak Performance in Sports and in Life
By Brian Johnson
Watch the video here.
Continuing our time with world-class CrossFit coach Ben Bergeron, let’s look at another one of his champion characteristics: Positivity.
But, first, let’s take a look inside his gym in New England. Come along, file in.
Look at the wall and notice this dictum front and center:
NEVER MAKE EXCUSES.
Roger. Got it.
That’s the essence of Positivity. We never whine. We never complain. We never make excuses.
We focus on what’s within our control. And then we do the best we can to Optimize it.
Continue reading here.
- You can’t perform at your best when you’re negative. You’re slower. You’re less precise. At the highest level of competition, you’ll lose. Period.
- “An optimistic mindset is a distinguishable characteristic of elite performers because what the human mind focuses on and talks about is what we see more of.” Ben Bergeron
- There are two processes at work that make up the frequency illusion:
- Selective attention – The more you think about and talk about all the things that are going WRONG in your life, the more you’re going to see those things in your life. That’s the power of selective attention.
- Confirmation bias – Once you’ve flipped the switch of your attention to focus on the negative thing (or whatever thing), you’re going to see more of that which will CONFIRM your BIAS to the negative. Then your subconscious will feel like you just patted it on the back and look for MORE of the negative which will feed the vicious downward spiral.
- NEVER WHINE. NEVER COMPLAIN. NEVER MAKE EXCUSES.
- Quit being a Victim and be a Creator. Get clear on what you want and go make it happen.
Do you have a resources that you would like to share? Contact us, we’d love to hear from you!
Subscribe today to receive our publications, like this one, right in your inbox!
Illuminate: Your Learning Journal monthly subscription: http://bit.do/BlueCourageIlluminate
Learn, Share, Grow weekly learning subscription: http://bit.do/LearnShareGrow
Daily Dose of Blue Courage motivational and inspirational subscription: http://bit.do/DailyDoseBC